Sep 22, 2013

Easy silk scarf dyeing




Hello everybody! I've been little busy this past week because I've finally started working after a year of unemployment (Woohoo!). I'm still in the process of adjustment so I didn't have much time for DIY projects, but I have some things to share that I made last month.

As I mentioned in my first post, most of my DIY projects are gifts for my friends (usually for their birthdays). „Birthday season“ starts in August and ends in March and during this period I'm working on a birthday present almost every month. This post is about the present that officially opened the season 2013/14 ;)

For this project you will need:
  • Plain silk scarf 
  • Colors for dyeing silk
  • Bucket with water
  • Towel

Step 1: Soak your scarf in water and wring the extra water.
Step 2: Lay down the scarf on some old towel.
Step 3: Splash colors on the scarf.



Step 4: To get softer, lighter colors and the watercolor effect, soak the scarf in the water, get out immediately and wring the extra water.
Step 5: Let it dry completely and then iron for 5 minutes.






I haven't tried silk dyeing before, so I'm really pleased with the result. Most importantly, my friend loved it too. We both love wearing scarves and I was happy to give her one she can wear during summer as well. Now I need to make one for myself. :) I already know how it will look like, but I think it will have to wait for a while...there are other projects with priority status.


No comments:

Post a Comment